1. Visual Ambassador. In the age of the web and social media, your professional headshot goes everywhere--not just on business cards. It is your visual ambassador to the world. For good or ill, people make judgments about you based on your looks. Why not show the world the very best version of yourself?
2. Look Professional. A well-crafted professional headshot makes you look...professional. You will look handsome, attractive with flattering lighting and posing, excellent skin tones, and the expression of someone who is both competent and friendly. On the other hand, it is so easy to spot the cell phone snapshots on the web with their telltale bad lighting, bad posing, poor color rendition, non-existent or clumsy retouching, and sometimes awkward
expressions. What message do you want to send to your potential customers?
3. Project Confidence. Nothing sells like confidence. Look like you are the man or woman you were made to be. When you show the world the confident you, you'll win friends and customers. One of the best suggestions for ladies in gaining confidence is to have hair & makeup done professionally.
4. Win Customers. People like to do business with people they know, like and trust. A handsome, attractive image goes a long way in allowing your customers to get to know you, to like you, and to do business with you. It makes you approachable, real, and friendly.
5. Up to Date. Have you ever seen a profile photo of someone that looks like it was last taken in 2004? How about the shock when you meet them in real life? It is jarring: the hair, the clothes, the lines. There is a disconnect between image and reality. Immediately, we wonder if anything else is out of date. Do yourself a favor and update your professional headshot every 2-5 years. You'll always look fresh.
6. Branding. Your portrait says volumes about you, your company, what you sell, and how you do business. It is all part of your brand. What look do you want to project? Smart and sassy? Thoughtful and considerate? Confident and approachable?
7. Lighting and Posing. Real professional photographers are trained in lighting and posing and capturing the best expression. How one is lit, how one is posed, sends a powerful message to the world. In the hands of an accomplished professional portrait artist, you can let go, relax, and create the kind of images that you never thought possible.
8. Professional Retouching. Be sure to choose a professional studio that can take care of shine on the face, lines under the eyes, eye enhancement, slenderizing, blemishes, teeth whitening, skin softening, and more. It is important to be retouched but not to the point of looking fake. You want to look your best self on your best day.
9. Investment. Having a professional portrait is an investment. And yet, it is far more affordable than you might imagine. Most clients experience and almost immediate payback in confidence and compliments. Ask your professional photographer.
10. Overcoming Fear. More than the cost, most people avoid or postpone professional headshots out of fear. They fear that they won't look good, that they are too heavy, that they are too old, that their expression won't be right, that they have a blemish, etc., etc. The list goes on and on. At some point one has to trust the professional portrait artist. A skilled and experienced artist can overcome about any obstacle. They work with them every day. And, ladies, if you are still not convinced, consider having your hair and makeup done professionally before the session, it is a sure confidence builder.